Sunday 31 May 2009

Tatania - Queen of the Fairies




Tatania,
Queen of the Fairies

“…When thou hast stolen away from Fairyland, playing pipes of corn and versing love…”

“…Why art thou here, come from the farthest steppe of India?”

“…And never, since the middle summer’s spring, Met we on hill, in dale, forest or mead. By paved fountain or rushy brook, Or in the beached margent of the sea. To dance our ringlets to the whistling wind…”

“…Set your heart at rest; The fairyland buys not the child of me…”

“…And, in the spiced Indian air, by night full often hath she gossip’d by my side, And sat with me on Neptune’s yellow sands. To fetch me trifles, and return again as from a voyage, rich with merchandise…”

“Not for thy Fairy Kingdom. Fairies away!”

“…Come, now a roundel and a fairy song; then for the third party of a minute, hence; Some to kill cankers in the musk-rose buds, some war with rere-mice for their leathen wings. To make my small elves coats, and some keep back. The clamorous owl nightly hoots and wonders at our quaint spirits. Sing me asleep; then to your offices and let me rest…”

(Excerpts taken from William Shakepeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream)

No comments:

Post a Comment